I think Starbucks has us wrapped around its little finger. And who’s complaining? With the million and one combinations they offer, pretty much everyone is happy. When I go to Starbucks, though, I am always looking for ways to trick the system. The same taste for less? A clever hack no one knows about? Here are some Starbucks tricks and tips you never knew existed!
- Turn in empty coffee bags for a free tall coffee or iced coffee: This is my favorite. My office uses Starbucks coffee, and every few weeks they give me their empty bag! I have a stash of these (including some in my car!) that I turn in for free coffee. If you ever meet me for coffee, there is a 99% chance I will bring you a random empty bag :). Maybe we should all ask random companies or families for their empty bags!
- Add a shot or sprinkle: Ask for a shot of mint or sprinkle in vanilla, cocoa or cinnamon at the coffee bar. Get that little twist for an additional $.55. Oh, and Christmas “red cup” season has Gingerbread syrup you can add! Read about more Cheap (under $3) Starbucks Drinks here.
- Refills for $.50 all day: Get the Tall and then refill all you want! (*This only applies as long as you are in the store.*)
- Bring your own cup: Bring your own cup and receive a $.10 discount!
- Go healthy: Order the healthiest version of your Starbucks favorite! Use this list of the Healthiest Iced Starbucks Drinks here. My favorite? The Iced Skinny Mocha saves you 400 calories!
- Free triple-filter water: Save yourself the bottled-water price!
- French Press for a Few: Order a pot of french-pressed coffee and serve a few friends for less!
- Got kids? Use this cheat sheet for the best Starbucks kid-friendly drinks! Who knew they had a “Babycino” that is an extra-foamy milk—like a cappuccino, but without the espresso. Ask for it bone-dry if you want the drink to be all foam.
- Celebrate your birthday! Sign up for the Starbucks reward program (registration is free) and get a free drink when your birthday comes around. (You’ll have to redeem it in the 30 days after your birthday.)
- Design your own! This list is awesome! The Oreo Frappe? The Cinnamon Roll? What about the Poor Man’s Chai Latte that is half the price?
- There’s another size! Order the “short” – even smaller than the “tall!” The “short” cappuccino has the same amount of espresso as the as its “tall” version, but for less.
- Treat your Pup: Order a puppy latte or puppycino, and your dog will get a sample cup full of whipped cream.
- And my favorite? Personally, I love to add a shot of caramel to my regular coffee (iced or hot). To me, this gives the same flavor as an (iced) Caramel Machiatto. I love this trick and save TONS of calories and dollars with it :).
- Make sure you read the comments below! There are some awesome suggestions from real baristas!
*Disclaimer, I have only tried a few of these ideas. If you are a Starbucks Barista, feel free to comment on the validity of these ideas.*
(Read more here.)