I am excited for this guest post today by Alicia with MarCom Land! She has done awesome research for this post – so enjoy!
Most of us have a box of baking soda in our pantry. In addition to making pancakes fluffy and pie crusts flaky, it has lots of other well-known uses, like de-stinking refrigerators and unclogging drains. However, this powerhouse kitchen staple boasts many other uses you may not be aware of. Here are ten things you can do with baking soda to improve your health, your home and your life.
1. Have a Fresh Mouth – Baking soda is a great natural freshener. Mix a half teaspoon with water and gargle with it to kills germs and bad breath. Gargling with baking soda can also relieve canker sore pain.
2. Take a Bath – Add a cup of baking soda to your tub to make your bathwater and your skin, soft and silky. Itís also great to soak in a baking soda bath to relieve itchy bug bites, in case you forgot to spray for bugs and wound up being nibbled on.
3. Clean Your Windshield – There is no need to buy pricy rain repellents for your car. Simply wipe your windshield with baking soda to repel those raindrops naturally. No chemicals needed!
4. Combat Stinky Shoes – Baking soda is a great deodorizer, so sprinkle it in your slippers, boots and sneakers to kill the odor caused by foul feet.
5. Play With Clay – Do the kids need something to do if theyíre cooped up in the house all day? Make some homemade modeling clay by combining it with water and cornstarch. Make batches in different colors by adding food coloring. Makes for a great afternoon!
6. Be a Good Sport – Your junior athletes will love guzzling this sports drink to power them through their game. Mix baking powder with boiled water, salt and Kool-Aid, for a refreshing and kid-friendly power juice.
7. Clean Your Carpets – If your carpets or upholstered furniture needs a freshening, sprinkle with baking soda and gently brush it to help it really sink in. Let it sit for about an hour or even overnight, and then vacuum away.
8. Clean Your Pans – Did your latest kitchen creation go awry and leave burned-on food in your pan? Soak it in a baking soda solution for about ten minutes before scrubbing to make cleanup much easier. Baking soda is a great natural degreaser.
9. Clean Crayon Marks – Did your toddler create a stunning art project on your walls or floors? Donít worry; you can easily remove the marks from your vinyl surfaces with a baking soda mixture. No need to repaint!
10. Get Your Grill in Gear – If your grill is looking grimy, sprinkle the grates with baking soda, let sit for a few minutes and then rinse away. Your grill will be primed and ready for your next barbequing session.
So there you have it: ten additional uses for that orange box you have in your kitchen. Baking soda is a great natural deodorizer, cleaning agent and recipe-helper. With its help, you can make your home sparkle and shine, naturally.
Alicia is a Jill of all trades. She writes about travel, health, and communication on her blog MarCom Land and works as a content coordinator for a variety of health and environmental clients.