I love coconut oil. I first heard about it from Passionate Homemaking years ago, and have since incorporated it into my life. It has enumerable uses: beauty, cooking, home… And I love how one natural product can do so much! I really have loved the few ways I have incorporated it into my life.
First, though, I will say that if you Google “coconut oil” you will find websites that say it has over a hundred uses. Maybe it does. But, I am a little leery to say it is a miracle product. Even though it is a better oil to cook with than vegetable oil (because it has a high smoke point), I am not one to jump on the band wagon and encourage you to ingest it. Yes, it probably has healing qualities, but it is high in saturate fat and so I am wary about doing that. I like reading articles about its healthy properties, but still don’t know what to believe. You can read what I am talking about here.
But, I have found several ways that it really is an excellent home solution. Here are a few ways I use coconut oil:
- I cook with it. I use it mostly for sauteing vegetables and making dishes like stir-fry. I also have used it in a granola recipe which turned out amazingly. I love that it smells a little coconutty and really cooks SO well. And, because apparently it is good for you, I prefer using it to vegetable oils.
- I use it as a lotion. This is the perfect lotion before bed. It is absorbed immediately and heals skin rapidly. And it smells amazing. I keep a jar in my bathroom.
- I use it as a scar cream. This stuff works. I paid lots of money for Moderma scar cream, only to try coconut oil with better results.
- I have made homemade deodorant with it. I know this is starting to sound a little crunchy, but the deodorant really works! It even worked well during days that I exercised. Here is my favorite recipe for this.
- My favorite way to use coconut oil is as a makeup remover. I use this every night with a cotton ball. It works wonders on even really tough eye makeup, and I moisturize my eye area at the same time.
- I use it in my homemade sea salt hair spray. (See recipe here!)
- I LOVE it as a lip balm. It is absorbed immediately and nourishes even the most chapped lips.
- I use it in my homemade sugar scrub recipe.
- I use it as an overnight deep-treatment conditioner. I rub it into my scalp and wash it out in the morning. My scalp and hair and shiny and conditioned!
- There are more uses here and I would love to know some of your favorite ways to use coconut oil!
My favorite place to buy coconut oil (and all things healthy and awesome) is at Vitacost! This is an awesome store! I have purchased coconut oil, natural cleaning products, makeup, natural shampoo, vitamins, Burt’s Bees, Aveeno, and even natural food products from Vitacost. If you have never heard of it – CHECK IT OUT! This is an awesome store with reduced prices. I am giving each of you the best coupon ever! Click the yellow coupon box for a $10/$10 order coupon. That is FREE except for shipping. And, Vitacost regularly has free shipping over $25 sales. This link will guide you to setting up an account to use your coupon. If you already have a Vitacost account, you can always sign up with a different email address. (Shh! Don’t tell them I said that!) Enjoy!
*April 12 Update: The coupon is actually for $10 off a $30 order. Vitacost changed its referral system. I am sorry for the wrong information!