I haven’t posted a recipe for awhile – mostly because I am channeling all my recipes onto the “No Plan” Menu Plan. If you aren’t downloading that menu plan, please do if you need easy every day recipes. All my favorite FAST recipes get put on that menu plan – from my super easy pizza crust (week 5) to my most recent favorite Aztec Chicken (week 7).
Falafel doesn’t seem like an “everyday recipe”. And, until my husband got it into his head that he wanted to try it (for the name alone!) it wasn’t in our repertoire. But, because it only requires one can of chickpeas, we eat this favorite a lot!
BTW. I recently updated my RECIPES page. It has links to all the recipes on this blog broken down by type. See it here!
DISCLAIMER: I recently had REAL Turkish falafel with my Turkish friend. That stuff was amazing. This recipe isn’t the same – but amazing nonetheless :).
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or garlic powder)
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon coriander (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour or breadcrumbs
- olive oil for frying
- pitas (or tortillas)
- toppings: lettuce, tomato, cheese, dill sauce, guac, the options are endless!
- Put ½ the can of chickpeas, the onion, and the spices in the food processor and pulse til almost a puree. Remove. Put remaining half of chickpeas in food processor and pulse just 3-4 times until coarsely ground. Mix the course chickpeas in the first mixture. Add flour or breadcrumbs. Form the mixture into small balls, and flatten into patties. Pan-fry in olive oil at medium high until golden brown (2-5 minutes each side).
- I love these in pitas - but they are just as good wrapped in tortillas - in case you only have those on hand. Top with your favorite toppings!