So, I received a hair curler for Christmas. In fact, I asked for it because I feel like my hair routine is up for a change! I am really loving the ins and outs of using a curling iron. (Here is an insider tip: make sure you know all about the the on/off switch before you wait twenty minutes for it to heat up!)
Anyway, I have straightened my hair for years now – and just realized that there are far fewer hair-straightening tutorials out there than there are hair-curling tutorials. Interesting.
So, I am taking it on myself to rectify this situation. Actually, I am just going to tell you all my favorite tips and products for straightening your hair. It won’t be much of a tutorial :).
So, my absolute favorite straight-hair tutorial is this one from Pink Pistachio. I refer to it regularly – and totally recommend it. All my tips pretty much come from this post – so credit where it’s due!
1. When I plan to straighten my hair, I condition well! I use a regular strength conditioner, but max it to the roots, and let it stay on for a few minutes while I do other shower-things. I have tried several leave-in conditioners (including the super popular It’s a Ten Leave-In Conditioner) and they all seem to weigh my hair down.
2. I always comb through my hair in the shower after I rinse out the conditioner – and don’t comb or brush it again. That’s it. After this step, I only use my fingers. I keep a wide-tooth comb like this one in the shower. I wrap my head in a towel and leave it there as long as I can. That towel dries it more than minutes of a blow-dry will.
3. When I blow-dry, I do it upside down and blow dry it COMPLETELY. This is worth all the extra seconds. I finish the blow-dry with the cold setting of the blow-dryer.
Do you know about this setting? That little “snow flake” button? One time I had a hard-rocker hair stylist (no joke, he wore boots with chains looked like Gene Simmons from KISS) and he taught me about this. The cold setting freezes your roots (or any shape of the hair) in the position that you blow it. If you do this upside down, your roots cool and freeze and give you amazing volume!
(BTW, I am still not brushing at this point.)
4. I straighten my hair in two layers – and do not touch the roots. They stay pretty volume-y from the blowout. I just finger through my hair and straighten it until it is smooth.
1. Babyliss PRO Nano Titanium 1-1/2 Ultra Thin Flat Iron – I have tried several straight irons – and this is the one that research has brought me to. My husband bought it for me (best husband, ever!) and his research has paid off! It is long-lasting, doesn’t snag, doesn’t damage hair (!), heats up in about five seconds, has a temperature gauge, and reviews say it is better than a CHI…
2. Tresemme Heat Tamer Protectant Spray – I don’t like a lot of product in my hair – and most heat protectants weigh it down. But, this stuff is light, smells amazing, and one spray in my wet hair goes a long way!
3. A Wide-Tooth Comb – I believe this is the key to smooth, un-frizzed, straight hair!
4. Phyto Phytolisse Finishing Serum – Again, I don’t like a lot of products. And, every single smoothing serum I have tried turns into gunk on my head. Except this magic miracle. I bought it from my stylist because she swears by it. It is light, and one pump smoothed onto wet or dry hair just melts into hair like water. No joke. It disappears. And then it makes your hair super smooth and soft. I should know because I live in the most humid city in the world, and this stuff works. I don’t use it every day – and it has lasted for a year. It’s on sale for $14.66 now on Amazon!