I mentioned in my post about food budgeting that I never buy cream soups – be it Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Celery. I also rarely use sour cream and cream cheese as a casserole base. I am able to avoid these processed foods and these extra expenses by making a simple white sauce using everyday ingredients – and it takes no time! I thank my mother for this wonderful recipe – and I use it ALL the time!
This sauce takes a few minutes – and I can now whip it up without even thinking. I love to make it in a saute pan, and then directly add it to pasta, chicken, casseroles – whatever I like! Recently I added it to mixed vegetables and shredded chicken, and served it over wild rice. Soooo good!
Try it out – and you will never by cream soups again! I make up to two or three cups for a large casserole.
Cream Soup Alternative: White Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Milk (can use instead ½ cup milk and ½ chicken or vegetable broth)
- Your choice of Seasoning: S&P, Garlic Powder, Celery Salt or Seasoned Salt (Nutmeg adds a unique sweet flavor)
- In a non-stick saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add flour and salt and mix until a nice paste.
- Slowly add 1 cup of milk and spices, stirring constantly.
- Turn to medium high and stir until boiling and thick. Taste and season until flavorful!
- Add more flavor by seasoning with Parmesan cheese, a teaspoon of lemon juice, or a few tablespoons of chopped chives or parsley.