Around my house, I use the word “working” as code for “blogging”. When my husband asks what I am doing, I can get away with the answer “Just some more work!”
(Now, in all fairness, these first three months have been work! I spend more time dealing with phrases like “CSS”, “DNS propagation”, “SEO”, “PHP”, “HTML”, “Meta Description”, “Permalink redirects”, “XML Sitemap”, and “FTP”, than the actual fun stuff!)
But, it has become very clear to me, that I am working too much. Here is how I know:
- There are two-week old piles on my kitchen table.
- My eyebrows have gone untweezed.
- My queue in Hulu is growing by the day.
- We eat pizza more than once a week.
- I arrive to my real job late and tired.
- My exercise bag stays in the car.
Ok, my life isn’t falling apart YET, but it is noticeably declining! I am resolving now to set limits for myself:
- No “work” before I leave for my real job in the morning.
- No “work” between 5 pm and 8 pm when all my attention should really be on my husband. And making dinner.
- No “work” after 10 pm.
- Actually, I will only “work” at lunch time, and in the evenings between 8 and 10 pm.
Is this possible? We will see! Have you set blogging boundaries – please tell me I am not alone!