When I make a snack, I want it to be good! We don’t buy a lot of store-bought snacks, and I am always looking for a new idea. I found this recipe, and I am hooked. It is the perfect snack.
These little snacks fulfill all my snack criteria: easy, healthy, mouth-wateringly DELICIOUS, and super filling. Also, they use ingredients I always keep on hand which is the key to every good recipe. I eat them for snack, breakfast, lunch, and even dessert. Sometimes I wake up thinking about them. Sigh. Maybe I like food a little too much.
- 1 cup oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
- 2/3 cup coconut flakes — if you don’t have this just add an additional 2/3 c. oatmeal
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ — if you don’t have this just add an additional 1/2 c. oatmeal
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips/raisins/dried cranberries (optional)
- 1 tsp. cocoa (optional)
- Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. (Mine were about 1″ in diameter.) Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week. Makes about 15-20 balls. I calculate them to be about 100 calories each, which in my opinion, is high-calorie! But, one or two will fill me up so I just limit how many I eat :).