I came down with a cold yesterday – yay for sicky days inside! Just kidding. I hate getting colds – especially when I don’t have a lot of groceries in the house :). But, I was itching for a warm bowl of chicken soup, so I just made do with what I had – and the result was amazing! I love to cook with the fewest ingredients and with the simplest technique. Chop it up and throw it in a pot? Yes please!
This pot of soup was simple, minimalistic, and can be made in the slow cooker or over the stove. I threw it on the stove and let it simmer for a few hours. (My house smelled amazing!) The best part about this easy chicken soup is that is has five ingredients. FIVE. That doesn’t include spices and bouillon. But, the rest? FIVE.
That’s my kind of recipe.
It probably can be called a cheat meal, because it uses some pre-made ingredients from Trader Joe’s. But, that made me love this recipe even more. Enjoy!
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1-2 cloves of garlic (I just use a huge tablespoon of this minced garlic)
- One Package of Trader Joe's Healthy 8 Veggie Mix
- One Package of Trader Joe's Just Chicken Pre-Cooked Chicken, chopped (You can use this shredded chicken if you have it!)
- 3 Cans of White Northern Beans
- 6 Cups of Water
- 6 Chicken Bouillon cubes
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Dried Parsley, Bay Leaves, Red Pepper Flakes, or any of your favorite savory spices!
- In large stock pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add Healthy 8 Veggie Mix and saute until aromatic.
- Add in chopped chicken, beans, water, and bouillon and bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Add in all spices to taste.
- Lower to medium-low heat and simmer for for 1-2 hours. Serve hot with crusty bread!
- Slow Cooker Variation: Put all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on high for 2-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
Let me know if you try this – or if you have any favorite shortcuts for “homemade” soup!